.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Hanoi after 30 years
Tien, Gay Lynn, Liz, and I went to Hanoi for a quick visit to the National Cancer Center after we were done in Ben Tre. Most of the team was leaving for home on November 22, some stayed extra days and went to other places for vacation and we left for Hanoi in the same morning. I was in Hanoi 30 years ago, right before leaving the country. It was much difference then, the City was quiet with mostly bicycles. I remembered the old town with great French architectures, but tried exploring the City was not easy because the lack of transportation that are readily available now. It is a wonderful experience this time to get acquainted with the ancient city again for many of us who was born and raised in Saigon with parents from North Viet Nam. I also got a chance to visit Hà Đông and watched the villagers weaving their silk the traditional way, by hands.
Tien, Gay Lynn, Liz, and I went to Hanoi for a quick visit to the National Cancer Center after we were done in Ben Tre. Most of the team was leaving for home on November 22, some stayed extra days and went to other places for vacation and we left for Hanoi in the same morning. I was in Hanoi 30 years ago, right before leaving the country. It was much difference then, the City was quiet with mostly bicycles. I remembered the old town with great French architectures, but tried exploring the City was not easy because the lack of transportation that are readily available now. It is a wonderful experience this time to get acquainted with the ancient city again for many of us who was born and raised in Saigon with parents from North Viet Nam. I also got a chance to visit Hà Đông and watched the villagers weaving their silk the traditional way, by hands.
The visit to Hanoi’s National Cancer Center was very interesting. Viet Nam has very high cases in lung, throat, stomach, breast, cervical, colorectal cancer. At this particular center, a thousand patients check in daily for cancer related problems. This high number of patients echoed when I talked to my friend, an oncology nurse at the Saigon Cancer Center. The centers are in needs of every thing. Cancer screenings are not available due to lack of screening equipments such as mammography machine. Thus, they are promoting cervical screening with Pap smears in Saigon, the education about cancer prevention still needs to be implemented. There were requested for more training about cancer education from every one we talked to. Gay and I did some basic training with the Red Cross personnel in Tien Giang, and with the sisters at the last two clinics, using some of the materials that we brought, some in English and some in Vietnamese. The training was very well received and they wanted yearly training if we can provided. Gay and I may have to be very creative about this request. May be we can do it via emailing and the internet on a regular schedule. It is an exciting time for cancer prevention worldwide.
Back to the reality at home now, I am glad that it is Thanks Giving weekend. We have so much to be thankful about. Thank you very much for your interest in our journey, and for your great supports, we could not do any of this with out your prayers. M&M
Back to the reality at home now, I am glad that it is Thanks Giving weekend. We have so much to be thankful about. Thank you very much for your interest in our journey, and for your great supports, we could not do any of this with out your prayers. M&M

No comments:
Post a Comment